The Corrupting Light is an object featured in the cartoon series Steven Universe. This radiant but dangerous form of energy comprised of blue, white, and yellow rays, the colors of the 3 current Diamonds who are the Great Diamond Authority that rules over the Gem species.
It was once utilized as a weapon by the Great Diamond Authority and it resulted in the unfortunate corruption of many Gem lifeforms fighting on the planet Earth as well as the end of the forgotten Gem War (often referred to as "The Rebellion"). It was directed mainly at the Crystal Gems, but some Homeworld Gems, such as Centipeetle and her crew, were also affected, due to being stranded on Earth when the event happened.
- The song in question, in addition to appearing in "Same Old World" and "Monster Reunion", has also been heard as a motif at the beginning of "Blue Diamond" and "Yellow Diamond".
- The degree of the light and song's direct role in inducing corruption, or if they were merely byproducts of something else, remains unclear.
- The mental corruption caused by this light is referred to as "damage from the Diamonds" in "Monster Reunion" by both Pearl and Steven Quartz Universe.
- The following Gems were on Planet Earth during the attack, but never corrupted for various reasons:
- Rose Quartz, Garnet, and Pearl (protected by Rose's shield).
- Amethyst (presumably because she was still incubating in the Kindergarten compound).
- Lapis Lazuli (for reasons unknown, possibly related to being trapped in the mirror).
- Bismuth (due to being bubbled).