Corrupting the Innocent is term regarding a villain who ruined a person's innocence as means to sway them into pawns or minions.
Comparison With Acts of Destroying The Innocent
Acts of Corrupting the Innocent can be compared with acts of Destroying the Innocent as both acts ruin the innocence of a character, usually a good person or at least someone with a child-like mentality. But whereas Destroying the Innocence is merely done as part of terrorism, demoralizing enemies/bystanders, or forcing his/her surviving victims to hate him/her and lead their lives in fear, Corrupting the Innocent is more often done for a more complex purpose: To sway a character into becoming the perpetrator's pawn and minion. More than often, these corrupted innocent people are eventually disposed of once they have failed or outlived his/her usefulness.
In either way, this act invokes great feelings of anger and hatred by the public and marks a crossing the Moral Event Horizon. Like the Moral Event Horizon, acts of destroying the innocent can also insult or disgust other villains that witness this event, particularly more sympathetic ones. Much like acts of Destroying the Innocent, the impact on the perpetrator can result in their reputation invoking immense rage and fear in the public's heart, as this act alone may result in him becoming Pure Evil or, to a greater extent, a Master of Horror.
Forms of Corrupting the Innocent
NOTE: To differentiate between acts of Destroying the Innocent, acts of Corrupting the Innocent mainly focused on forced/pinned a character to the dark side.
Various ways an evildoer corrupt innocent people to their side are:
- Brainwashing innocent people into becoming slaves.
- Turning innocent people against each other.
- Persuading the hero to let his hatred and anger get the better of him.
- Pitting the hero against someone he/she loves.
- Training someone the wrong way (ex. taught him/her some form of spells/techniques which deemed forbidden/dangerous in the heroes/good guys' standard).
Anime and Manga
- Madara Uchiha from Naruto: Destroyed Obito Uchiha's innocence by arranging Rin's death, turning him into the executor of his evil plan for years until his resurrection.
- The Raven from Princess Tutu: He corrupted Mytho and later all the townspeople with his blood.
- Dr. Eggman from Sonic X: He swayed Knuckles the Echidna against Sonic and Tails.
- Evelyn Deavor aka The Screenslaver from Incredibles 2: She hypnotized superheroes and world leaders in hopes of preventing the government from revoking the law against supers.
- Terry Silver from The Karate Kid, Part III: He convinces Daniel LaRusso to turn away from Mr. Miyagi and turn to him for training.
- Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars: Seduced Anakin into the Dark Side with the promise of keeping Padme safe, ultimately transforming him into Darth Vader.
- Ruby from Supernatural: She manipulated Sam Winchester into drinking Demon Blood and using his psychic powers to kill Lilith and thus free Lucifer from Hell.
- Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts: In the first game, his Heartless and Maleficent turn Riku into a Rival Turned Evil in order to steal his body. In Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, his original incarnation convinces Terra that it's okay to use the power of Darkness and made Ventus in order to make X-blade and turn Ventus. Then uses Ansem the Wise's own apprentices to overthrow him before turning them into Nobodies.
- Yakone from The Legend of Korra: He taught his sons Bloodbending in order to get revenge on the Avatar and Republic City.
- Sideshow Bob: He hypnotizes Bart Simpson into assassinating Krusty the Clown at the final show.
- Black Hat: His company sells Flowers of Pure Foulness that turn love into disgust.
- Slade: Believing Terra as potential pawn better than Robin, he uses her insecurities and desperation to control her powers to sway her against the Teen Titans.
- Freakshow: He corrupted Danny Phantom with brainwashing ability with his Crystal Ball Staff and have him performing various felonies under his bidding.
- Undergrowth: He corrupted Sam Manson into making her his daughter.
- The Omen: He manipulated Jack into believing he has failed his purpose as a samurai and attempted to have him commit seppuku.
- Aku: He corrupted Ashi after revealing that Ashi is Aku's biological daughter.
- Eric Cartman: He manipulated Heidi Turner and stay with him and trick her into eating junk food turning her into a version of himself.
- Plankton: Has used mind control helmet on Bikini Bottomites and even King Neptune to turned them into his slave. This also resulting him become a serious threat to the ocean and beyond, considering how immense King Neptune's powers are.
|“||Oh, please, I've seen this before. But he was always weak minded. You are Discord, you are legend, you cannot fall into the same trap that claimed my brother! Help me to grow strong, and be rewarded with something far greater than "friendship": freedom.||„|
|~ Tirek urges Discord to join him.|
|“||You may witness but you cannot proceed any further. (Ashi: Witness what?) The end. [Four of Jack's ancestor appear from their graves] Great warriors of past, I welcome you. This samurai has failed his purpose and has accepted his fate. [Jack grabs the sword and prepares to commit seppuku. Ashi is shocked at what Jack is about to do] (Ashi: Stop!!) [The Omen whacks Ashi aside] This does not concern you. There is no hope. [Ashi stands up] (Ashi: No, hope lives! It is everywhere! I've seen it. Everyone you have touched. The people you have helped. You saved them!) Enough! [Fights Ashi] Hope is just a fleeting sentiment. Your failure is real. You must face the consequences or continue to bear the guilt of your dishonor for all eternity. (Ashi: Jack, don't listen! You're being misguided! I've seen it! You've saved COUNTLESS innocents-but most of all. [The Omen continues to attack her] You showed me the truth! You made me see that there's so much more to me than I know existed! You made me way more than what I was! The hope you gave me SAVED MY LIFE!) Death follows in your wake. Men, women, children. Yes, all those children dead because of you! (Ashi: No! The children! They're alive! You saved them!) No more words!||„|
|~ The Omen manipulating Jack into believing he has failed his purpose as a samurai and attempts have him commit seppuku.|