|“||Pandora’s box, a gift the Gods gave to Prometheus, one that contained all of the evils of the world, until Pandora unleashed it on an unsuspecting people.||„|
|~ Katya (disguised as Nina) to Piper Halliwell.|
Pandora's Box is an ancient magical box that contains all of the horrifying sorrows of the world and it first appeared in the eponymous episode "Little Box of Horrors" of the Charmed TV series.
It is protected by a magical lineage of powerful mortal women called "Guardians" whose sworn duty is to guard it and prevent it from being opened by demons, which is impossible for them to open in the first place, but with enough strategy, they can make the Guardian herself or a mere human open it. That title "Guardian" passes onto the box's next keeper at the death of her current predecessor as the box will move on itself only to it's new Guardian.
If it is opened, Pandora's Box will release all the Earth's sorrows and plunge the mortal world into great dismay. Only a Guardian will have enough power to put it all back into the box if she is meant to.
When Sandra, one of the Elders, explained Pandora's Box to Phoebe Halliwell, she said "it exists only to tempt, part of the Grand Design".
Guardians of Pandora's Box
In every generation, one girl is born to protect Pandora's box. She is then trained by the previous guardian and she would be the only one who can open the box, release its spiritual contents and put its content back in. Also, each Gaurdian would be given 3 unique mystical abilities: calling (a power to summon an object into one's hands through either willpower or a hand gesture), energy blasts and immunity.
- Pandora: The box's first Guardian and legendary figure of it's namesake myth.
- Nina: Nina is the next Guardian of Pandora's Box. She was killed by Katya before she could train Hope.
- Hope: Hope was a school girl at Berkeley University and best friend of a girl named Darcy. She was destined to be the guardian of Pandora's box after Nina.
- Within Greek mythology, the mythical item is a box that the Greek god Zeus gave to Pandora, the first woman, with strict instructions that she will not open it. Pandora's curiosity soon got the best of her, and she opened the box. All the evils and miseries of the world flew out to afflict mankind and the world almost came to an end because of this, although there was one last thing at the bottom of the box, a force called hope.
- The box was mentioned twice on the show before is actually appeared.
- In the episode "Sin Francisco", Leo implies that the sin box could have served as inspiration for the myth of Pandora's Box.
- In the episode "Charmed and Dangerous", Cole references to Pandora's Box while discussing how to stop an ancient magical vapor known as The Hollow.